The luxurious gate of the Basilian monastery complex meets everyone walking up Aušros Vartų Street. Upon stepping through the impressive late-Baroque gate, visitors will enter the Basilian monastery complex, which experienced a huge fire and was reconstructed in 1761, according to the instructions of the architect Johann Christoph Glaubitz. The wooden Saint Trinity Church, and a monastery which stood there in the 14th C., were later replaced by brick buildings and then became the monastery of the Basilian monks.
Throughout its history, the Basilian monastery changed its purpose several times. At one time it was a prison, holding the poet Adomas Mickevičius and the participants of the revolt of 1831; while later it became a Lithuanian spiritual seminary; and then it hosted the VGTU Department of Electronics for more than 40 years. As of 2007, these buildings have been the locations of the ISM University of Management and Economics with ISM Innovations Base, which opened its doors in the building of the former stables/coach house (Arklių Street) in 2014.
The entire architectural ensemble is united by a variety of objects that date back to various periods of time. One of them features a fragment of the old wall of Vilnius City.